Letterboxd

Uh oh, we have gremlins in the control room…
Letterboxd is down due to an unscheduled technical outage. We’ll be back soon!

Still from Joe Dante’s Gremlins (1984)

Gremlins if ( screen.width < 768 ) { var date = new Date(); var maxAge = 365 * 24 * 60 * 60; date.setTime(date.getTime() + maxAge * 1000); var expires = '; expires=' + date.toUTCString(); document.cookie = "useMobileSite=yes" + expires + "; path=/; maxAge=" + maxAge; if ( document.cookie && document.cookie.indexOf("useMobileSite=yes") >= 0 ) { window.location.reload(true); } else { // No cookies. No Mobile version. } } Letterboxd

Letterboxd

Uh oh, we have gremlins in the control room…
Letterboxd is down due to an unscheduled technical outage. We’ll be back soon!

Still from Joe Dante’s Gremlins (1984)

Gremlins

Overlord ★★★★

I really enjoyed Overlord. I remember earlier this year it was rumored to be connected to Cloverfield but I'm pleased that it was its own thing.

The violence and gore effects are top notch without being over the top. Watching the cast kick Nazi ass is so damn satisfying.

But perhaps what impressed me most is that it takes itself seriously. The opening sequence is spectacular and sets up the tension of war very well. As the plot unfolds, there are enough unique turns and variety in the action that the movie doesn't wear itself thin.

I really dug Overlord. And the setting and some of the design felt reminiscent to the PS3 franchise Resistance, which happens to be a favorite of mine. So that was cool.

Reviewed in Episode 259 of The Obsessive Viewer Podcast.

Matt liked this review