Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★★

There is no review for this diary entry. Add a review?

When I first saw the trailer for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, I was kind of lukewarm on it. The animation style looked unique but seemed kind of antithetical to the smooth webslinging of Spider-Man.

Man, was I ever off the mark.

It kind of shocks me that this is the 7th Spider-Man movie we've gotten since Sam Raimi's 2002 movie. And while I have a soft spot for 2004's Spider-Man 2 and I absolutely adore 2017's Homecoming, Into the Spider-Verse seems like the iteration that is the most respectful and appreciative of the Spider-Man canon. It's fun, it's quippy, and it's got the poignancy and sense of duty that serve as the hallmarks of the Spider-Man mythos. And it's also got Spider-Ham.

I love the animation style so much in this movie. It's so vibrant and colorful but still retains the darker emotional beats of the plot despite that vibrancy. The climax of the movie is visually stunning. It accentuated the action and made for a really satisfying and thrilling final act.

The vocal performances were terrific as well. Jake Johnson plays an older Peter Parker who takes Morales under his wing. Shameik Moore conveys the confusion, excitement, and doubt that is the heart of Miles perfectly. The impressive cast list also includes Hailee Steinfeld, Mahershala Ali, Nicolas Cage, John Mulaney, Bryan Tyree Henry, Liev Schreiber, Zoe Kravitz, Kathryn Hahn, and Lily Tomlin.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is an extremely fun, visually stunning movie with a ton of sincerity and heart. It was such a blast to watch and I really can't wait to see it again.

Reviewed in The Obsessive Viewer Podcast – Ep 262 – Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse – The Mule, Cam, Cheap Thrills, Silent Night Deadly Night, and Mandy (Patreon Selection)