The Trial of the Chicago 7 ★★★½

The lack of a conventional summer movie season (and the overall disappointing crop of movies this year has offered) has me clamoring for awards season.

The Trial of the Chicago 7 is a solid start to awards season. It hits the marks you expect it to hit. Sorkin's choice to hold back on showing the riots until the trial is well underway is a gamble that pays off. And the stylistic choices made in its depiction are interesting.

The movie spends more time on the court room spectacle than on the characters. In classic Sorkin fashion, the characters are predominantly defined by their ideologies. So it doesn't leave much room to explore them as individuals aside from a few scant blips of development here and there. That's mostly just for entertainment purposes rather than adding emotional depth.

This wouldn't be a problem if the story didn't find itself hinging on the conflicting positions of two character late in the game.

The Trial of the Chicago 7 still manages to be a crowd pleaser court room drama that will hold a mirror to modern day fights for justice.

As much as the court proceedings are disrupted, Frank Langella never wants yells, "I will not have you make a mockery of my courtroom!" And that is a slight bummer.

Full Review: https://obsessiveviewer.com/2020/09/25/the-trial-of-the-chicago-7-2020/