Wolf Creek 2 ★★★★

I've never seen the original Wolf Creek, nor have I seen the anthology show on Shudder. Having said that, I had no idea what to expect out of Wolf Creek 2. What I got was a wildly entertaining and gruesome horror flick that stumbled a little bit at the end but made up for it with an incredible performance from its lead actor.

Mick Taylor (John Jarratt) is an incredible character in that he's diabolical and unhinged, but so fun to watch. Even when we see him mutilating a corpse in vivid detail, cutting the body into small pieces, it's strangely fun because Mick is muttering silly witticisms to himself. Jarratt's performance is so entertaining and fun that it counterbalances the extreme violence to create a sublimely demented characterization.

The sheer fun of the Mick Taylor character totally makes up for the lack (or complete avoidance) of development of the victim characters. While that would usually stick in my craw and create a bad viewing experience for me, here it's acceptable because of John Jarratt's performance.

Wolf Creek 2 starts with a bang and delivers more than its fair share of very grisly violence within its first half hour. However, in delivering those goods early, the movie sets up something it doesn't really pay off in its final act. In the first half of the movie we see heads blown off, and bodies mutilated beyond recognition. But the final act amounts to some minor injuries by comparison. Even though Jarratt's performance is such a delight, I can't help but feel like the movie shot its wad early on the gore and couldn't recover from it.

Despite that minor quibble with it, Wolf Creek 2 is a delight and a really fun and grisly watch.

Watched for my Shocktober 2018: My Horror Movie Homework Assigned by @IAmMikeWhite list.

Matt liked this review