Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★★½

I don't normally like to post reviews on rewatches when I've already reviewed the film within the last 12-18 months. However, for Django Unchained I'll make an exception.

It was my birthday on Sunday. My amazing wife completely surprised me by buying a new surround sound system for me! I'm very lucky, I know. We already had plans to go out on the morning, but my family were coming over on the afternoon and I wanted--no, I needed to test out my new toy. Superman II on blu-ray was fired up just for the opening credits with the theme thundering around the house no doubt waking up my neighbours. But I needed to decide what to test it out properly with later.

So later that evening I had decided Quentin Tarantino's western was what I was in the mood for. It was a fine choice, even if I do say so myself.

It's such an incredible film. I'm really struggling to decide what my favourite film of 2013 is so far. I'm leaning more towards The Place Beyond The Pines, but Side Effects, Alpha Papa and Django Unchained are all vying for top billing.

As my dad said after the end credits rolled on Django, it's his favourite film since Pulp Fiction. Not just his favourite Tarantino film, but any film by any director. Whilst I think that's a little overboard, I have no qualms about it being Quentin's best film since PF. The episodical structure as we follow Django's quest to rescue his wife is so epic in scale, so multi-layered and such an adventure that it's almost incomparable for its genre. The amount that is stuffed into this near 3 hour long film is impressive given that the time just flies by and each section is thoroughly entertaining.

Waltz absolutely deserved his Oscar for this, it's just a shame Leo couldn't get one of his own too. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Jamie Foxx, whilst not a great "acting" performance, absolutely nails this Django character. Utterly nails it. He's got the right amount of humour blended into his cool persona to make Django Freeman one of the best western heroes of all time.

I know it won't be for everybody. I know some people are sick of Tarantino's somewhat self indulgent method of film making, and yes he can appear to be a bit of a dick in interviews. But so what. If he can continue to make films as good as this, then as far as I'm concerned, he can be a dick to whoever he wants.

Also, for the record, the surround sound combined with Django Unchained absolutely blew me away.

PPS. I like the dancing horse bit. Shut up.

Owen liked these reviews