Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind ★★★½

George Clooney makes a very solid directorial debut with Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Steven Soderbergh and the Coen brothers being major influences are clear, and I’d even go as far as to say he can be a lot more interesting than Soderbergh, although of course has a ways to go before being as good as the Coens.

His low key, 70s not very show off style compliments the Barris novel and Charlie Kaufmans crazy script well. The tonal and stylistic contrasts help ground the movie but don’t let it get boring.

But I feel like it probably needed more, the story is clearly bullshit but I think maybe just playing it straight doesn’t give us a sense of how full of shit Barris is. The movie has a very solid 2 hour runtime yet the way it just sort of jumps between his missions and TV shows, it feels too quick and slight.

Sam Rockwell anchors the movie in a truly fantastic and sleazy performance, and I think would’ve been served better with something that leaned more into Kaufmans style than the more serious take we got here.

Old Man Angelo liked these reviews