Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★★½

Quentin Taratino had been threatening the world with a western since his return in 2003. His love for westerns had permeated all over his recent batch of films and it was only a matter of time before he went full blown. And of course he fucking delivered in spades. Big gorgeous scenery and lots of gun fights.

This is probably Tarantino's most overall straightforward movie. It's classical origin story, but given a typically QT veneer. But he doesn't fuck around with plot structure, and leaves us off in the most sequel friendly manner of any of his films. His biggest concern was making Django an iconic poc hero and he absolutely succeeds.

Jaime Foxx probably gets too overshadowed by Waltz, Sam Jackson and Leo's insane scenery chew off on initial viewing. But he's really just the most understated character of the whole film. His speech patterns developing from someone without formal education, to having hung out with Dr. Schultz for a while. He gradually takes more and more charge of his life and it's really after Dr. Schultz dies that we see the fully developed Django.

Christoph Waltz is somehow even better here than he was in Inglourious Basterds. As a white guy, I think it's a really accurate look at those of us who want to do good, but we can simply never see the world through the eyes of we want to help, we're not going to know everything, so fuck it we just do our best. And that really embodies Dr. King Schultz.

Sam Jackson made his full blown return to a Tarantino movie since Jackie Brown here and he's fucking ecxellent. A lot of people don't get Stephen is the real villain of the piece and it makes sense for him to be the guy Django enacts all his fury on.

I hope we see Foxx and Kerry Washington return to their roles as Django and Broomhilda sooner rather than later. Give us that damn Django/Zorro movie.

Old Man Angelo liked these reviews