Your Name.

Your Name. ★★★★½

Championing love as an intangible, profoundly transformative force for self-discovery and companionship; Makoto Shinkai's Your Name is a curious powerhouse of a film. It's visuals are breathtaking, it's story is emotionally draining and in the end, I think Shinkai pulls it off. It's one of those grandiose tales laced with so much "big" emotion that it felt like it could unravel for the entire runtime, but in the end I think it satisfied on really every level. I have lots more to say about this one, but I think I wanna see it again before I go further.

I must say though, the particular thread I loved the most in this was watching these two characters live one another's life, but experience it entirely differently. There's something so beautiful about that basic idea; that everyone's experience in life, though similar on paper, is perceived and lived so differently. It just goes to show how reliant our life is on small mannerisms and interactions. The look we give to greet someone, our posturing in certain situations, a split decision here and there. What one person may remember, another may forget. Memories treasured and memories discarded, experiences endured and others passed on. I think Your Name asserts the value of the intricacies in life, because these two characters really aren't all that similar. But it's the little things that bring them together, the minute details keeping everyone just out of step with the rest of the world that ultimately win out.

Really excited to view this again, it's a fascinating film.

2017 Ranked