Batman

Batman ★½

I understand this film was made a while ago, so there’s some things that they just couldn’t do, but aside from the obvious stuff regarding that, I still just didn’t like this film.

There were some good parts I thought, some of the joker stuff was great, and Gotham was really cool, but I can’t say much for the rest.

Starting with Batman himself, I didn’t mind Keatons Bruce Wayne, although at times he did seem a little strange. It was more Batman that I just didn’t like. At no point I felt like he was cool or a bad ass, just a goofy looking stale bat. I get the fight scenes were limited with the suit, and the era it was made, but they were sooooo boring. Slow kicks and punches almost made the whole thing up, with some very, in your face gadgets being used. He never felt like he had a trick up his sleeve, especially at the end when they’re hanging on that balcony and he just...hangs. Lastly this is a small thing but it really bothered me. When he says the ‘have you ever danced with the devil...’ line back to the Joker, I thought that could have been a really cool bit, but the line delivery was just awful. I don’t know why but I just thought it sounded terrible.

Secondly the Joker. I think the Joker on his own was pretty good, but the scenes he was in were a different story. The stuff with burning that guy alive, and that girl who wears the mask, was really disturbing and I thought was pretty good, but then you get those museum and parade scenes and I’m just thinking...what the fuck is this. I get he’s meant to be the ‘happy’ guy and all the violence isn’t meant to phase him, but when Joker goons with Joker jackets and Joker caps are dancing in a museum spray painting the paintings whilst listening to music, through a boom box, I just can’t get behind it.

There are various other things I wasn’t a fan of, but those cover the two main ones. I don’t think this is a flat out bad film, but it definitely wasn’t for me. I can see why people would have liked this when it came out, but it’s hard coming off the back of watching the dark knight trilogy, to really enjoy this.

Don’t let this put you off though, because you may really enjoy it :)