Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★½

Main narrative Once Upon a Time.. in Hollywood follows minor movie and TV star Rick Dalton(Leonardo DiCaprio), neighbour of Sharon Tate(Margot Robbie), and his friend and stunt double Cliff Butt(Brad Pitt) and their journey through Hollywood, while also following in lesser capacity Tate herself. Dalton has a career problem- he isn't certain how to continue it-as constant episodic villain in TV shows or to try acting in spaghetti western, while also losing confidence in his acting abilities and simultaneously wanting to be in movies of higher prestige. Through his journey Tarantino gives us his love letter to idealized version of late-60s Hollywood. Many thing which clearly inspired Tarantino are here: cowboy shows, B-movies, spaghetti westerns and famous classic The Great Escape and also there are many famous and less famous Hollywood figures in minor roles. Aldo it might seem overly self-indulgent, but it works very well as illustration of certain period of film history even it's more forgotten parts.

This kind of movie couldn't work without some good acting and DiCaprio and Pitt deliver. DiCaprio has the most complex character at his hands and he portrays him especially good. Robert Richardson's cinematography is both beautiful and aesthetically mimics the way the movies looked in the time where movie was set. Aldo dialogue in Tarantino's work can be quite hit-or-miss, with me here it some some of the funniest one liners in the entire work, especially ones Cliff's.

However despite many positives-I have a one huge problem-Margot Robbie's Sharon Tate is weirdly used. Her story-line is very weird-it is too long to be a simple plot point, but it isn't long enough to have more meaningful function in the movie. She remains underdeveloped and most of her scenes feel like filler- to procrastinate the main narrative, without any pay-off. Really unfortunate choice.

*Light Spoilers*
Once Upon a Time is much less violent than one would come off Tarantino, but it ends with one of his classic stand-off scenes and I'm kinda mixed on this one. On one hand is has some brilliant suspense and some of funniest lines of entire movie, on the other it is a bit needlessly cruel for my tastes. I guess that makes sense, revenge fantasies were never among my favourite movie subjects.
*Spoilers end*

Once Upon a Time is another good work from world's most famous auteur, but I again fail to be impressed by him. Still very well constructed and fun movie, so I don't have a lot to complain about.

Block or Report