The Irishman

The Irishman ★★★★★

"I heard you paint houses." "Yeah, I do. I also do my own carpentry work."

Martin Scorsese manages to make a five minute conversation about the ethics of punctuality absolutely captivating, and I think that encapsulates my thoughts and feelings on the film. It's brilliant. Throughout the film I was thinking it was meandering a little but there's a specific point where everything came full circle and I was loving it.
The performances are such a joy. Watching these absolute legends of cinema perform together is probably the best thing about The Irishman. During scenes that were supposed to be taken seriously, I was smiling from ear to ear because it was such a pleasure watching these fuckers do their thing as if they didn't have periods of terrible films.
The directing was-- come on it's Scorsese, go figure.
I adored nearly everything about this film. Sure, it can be trimmed a little, but I feel like it's perfect as it is. It's an incredible crime epic that slowly reveals itself to be an emotional and sentimental mediation on growing older and the legacy you leave behind you with what you did in your life. It's not something that I'm going to rush to rewatch, seeing as it's three and a half hours long, but I'm definitely looking forward to it when I do. It's wonderful. I'm so glad I got to see it in cinemas.

Only Shallow liked these reviews