2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

Holy shit.

The term "masterpiece" gets thrown around a lot, people mention things like Vertigo, Seven Samurai, Jack and Jill and then there's this, 2001: A Space Odyssey. For me, the purest masterpiece there has ever been, who needs dialogue? Who needs a coherent plot? Kubrick doesn't care for traditional film making and shows that with this stunning epic. I saw this in a cinema on 70mm film and after seeing it in this way I can't imagine any other way to see it, the soundtrack is sublime, using a lot of heavily recognisable pieces of music today allowed Kubrick to ensure this film became a timeless classic, sure you could say that Kubrick couldn't possibly of known that the music he chose would go onto become iconic but you know what, Kubrick is a genius and I'm convinced he could see into the future, this film depicts IPads & video calling IN THE 1960's.

If you're a fan of sci-fi you have Stanley Kubrick to thank, this film set the benchmark to the point where I'm not even sure why films were made in this genre after it's release.

Weather boy liked these reviews