Wax, or The Discovery of Television Among the Bees

Wax, or The Discovery of Television Among the Bees ★★★★


The screen reached out to me with tv-static covered hands, beckoning. It passed them through the outer shell of my skull, funnelling swarms of bees into the network of neurons within. My mind was folded and compressed into a tiny space, leaving a dark void behind my eyes. The density of the space became so great that I violently metamorphosed into a black hole. My new body, ravenous with hunger, swallowed up the solar system, condensing it into the volume that I once occupied. The planet Jupiter, now the size of a toaster, sent a telepathic message to me using its gaseous thought machine. My minuscule yet cosmically infinite mind was jolted into streams of images; the birth of the universe, the dawn of man, the World Wars. The dark truth was then revealed to me, the beings responsible for it all ... but I can’t remember. I’ve been given a bee lobotomy, bees bees bees.

Owen liked this review