Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese ★★★★★

I don’t know how to express my love for this beautiful creation enough.

This doc gave me fascinated chills as much as it warmed my heart. The live performances are undeniably inspiring, and not only is the present day interview content great, wise and informative, but it’s the more personal footage of Dylan and his friends, fellow musicians and poets that truly make it something special. One particular moment shown on screen that he shares with Ginsberg is extraordinary; both of them at Jack Kerouac‘s grave reading some of Kerouac’s own 1970’s writings involving heavy themes of death and self reflection, going on to taking a break in the grass playing simple music while meditating on their current experience— it’s moments like that that you can’t believe you’re witnessing on camera.

There’s absolutely nothing like this out there. Scorsese has created what is in my opinion one of the overall best and most emotionally effective music documentaries that’s ever existed. The combination of incredible concert footage and the small intimate moments captures not only your attention but your heart. If you’re a passionate Dylan fan, you will cry. If you’re not, watch it anyway. I can guarantee you’ll be happy with it.