Blue Collar ★★★★★

Often times I've read and been told this was one of the best movies of the 70s. Always doubted it from that poster. Turns out it really is. This movie truly cements Paul Schrader's place for me as my favorite film maker of all time. Let's talk a bit about this film.

They pit the lifers against the new boy, the young against the old. The black against the white. Everything they do is to keep us in our place.

Richard Pryor, widely considered the greatest standup comedian ever, is the main role. That poster gives you the impression that this is a comedy; it sure as fuck isn't. I am writing this in a sad state. I can't believe that 40 years later this movie still rings so true. Paul Schrader is a courageous man to make something like this. A lot of hard truths in there. I don't care if you're a socialist, a capitalist, a union man or a boss; this one spares no one.

Yaphet Kotto is the star of the film for me. Hard to believe when you play along Pryor and Harvey fucking Keitel but he is. Such charisma, just perfect. It feels like they took someone who is a real worker but could somehow act his own role. Nope. He's an actual straight up actor.

I don't even know what to say man. I come from a small town with a lot of union workers. Lifers. Things seem to have changed now with the subcontractors and globalization and shit, but it's still the same. How you think Trump got elected? You think russians came here and filled the ballots? Sheeeeet. Like my man Smokey says: