Lucky

Lucky ★★★★

The reason Jesus used parables was because they had a power to sneak through your defenses and kick you in the butt. Jordan Peele's "Get Out" is such an important film, in my opinion, because it manages to say so many important things while thoroughly entertaining you in a masterly crafted film.

"Lucky" has an important message about living in the 21st century as a woman. Yet, I fear that many horror fans will feel that it is too repetitive in the first half and too "preachy" in the second. However, I was fully engaged throughout largely thanks to the amazing performance by Brea Grant.

I hope that horror fans will not dismiss this movie but I fear many will.

2020 has been a dumpster fire of a year but despite the closing of movie theaters and the delay of films like Nia DaCosta's "Candyman" and "Halloween Kills," we horror fans have still been treated to a lot of really good flicks. By my count, I've seen more than thirty horror films this year and all but a few are worthy of mention. This one needs to be seen and appreciated for what it strives to achieve...and several of the scenes are truly suspenseful.

Following the IMDB rating system, I give it 7.5/10 and call it a must stream/rental.

*This review is part of my attempt to watch, review and rate as many horror movies as possible year-by-year beginning in 1972 (the year I was born) until the present in order to compile Top 10 lists for each year and decade. Tune back in daily for more! Oh, and be sure to check out the Father and Son Watch Horror Movies podcast!

PastorMattR liked this review