Dracula in Pakistan ★★★

Riveting only because, as a die-hard fan of Horror of Dracula, this is a real trip. It's almost a scene-by-scene remake of that first Hammer Dracula film (with a Christopher Lee look-alike to boot), only in black and white, with 1940's Poverty Row production values, and the minimum amount of adaptation needed to move the story from 19th century Europe to contemporary Pakistan. Oh, and there are about 4 musical numbers.

Seeing iconic sequences from Horror of Dracula get staged identically to Terrence Fisher's film only to transition into sexy surf rock musical numbers or something never gets old and seeing Hammer's vision of Dracula stripped of it's Judeo-Christian devotion (there are no crosses or stakes here, just sick-looking knives) is fascinating. However, as closely as this follows it's source (it literally just jacks the musical cue from Horror of Dracula as the sunlight kills him) it lacks a lot of the same quality all around, particularly the crackerjack pacing that made the 1958 film so propulsive. If I wasn't so intimately familiar with the original film that so defined the genre in England I don't know if I'd experience the same kind of psychic frisson of seeing it play out in one of it's former colonies.