Sound of Metal ★★★★★

This is the film from 2020 that I was looking forward to watching the most and it truly blew me away. Riz Ahmed, not being deaf himself, gave such a believable performance in his role as Ruben Stone. I’m very hopeful he will get some recognition this awards season.

Sound of Metal does such an incredible job at placing you in the minds of its characters. You can’t help but try and figure out what is going on in Stone’s head and how he is managing to process losing his sense of hearing (something that we all definitely take for granted).

This film gave me a new appreciation for taking some time to be thankful for what I have right now, which is coincidentally a theme I discussed in my therapy session today. While the themes of loss, addiction, and change in Sound of Metal are rather dark, I left my viewing experience with a new appreciation for things around me and life in general.

I cannot recommend this enough and wouldn’t be surprised if it makes its way to my favorites list in the near future.

update: it is now on my favorites list

payton liked these reviews