Synecdoche, New York ★★★★½

After watching I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020), I was unsure that I would leave a viewing experience again with that feeling of utter confusion and existential dread, but leave it to Charlie Kaufman to do just that, again. Kaufman's dialogue is so incredibly disorienting and elaborate some might feel as though it is overly ambitious or just plain annoying (which honestly, totally valid opinion). But deciphering what the literal fuck is going on is half the fun of watching anything by Kaufman. That confusion and frustration I felt watching is exactly what the story was intended to do.

Kaufman takes a very bizarre approach to filmmaking. To me, his films are less about actually understanding everything that is going on and more about how it makes you feel. I sat in disbelief, confused, and angry at what was unfolding on screen from the films bleak opening to its painful closing.

Synecdoche, New York was a breath of fresh of air to watch, not because of the subject matter (which is anything but), but because of the way it made me feel. Anything that can create such a visceral response is exciting to see, regardless if that response was that I should probably send a midweek follow up email to my therapist between our sessions.

payton liked these reviews