Killing Them Softly ★★★★

I hadn't heard about this movie until a couple months back and only a few weeks ago I decided to buy the Blu-Ray. Well I finally watched it and I'm glad I did.

First of all, all the performances are brilliant. Brad Pitt plays this cool, deadly but likeable hitman to perfection. Scott McNairy and Ben Mendelsohn truly give off the down-on-their-luck and disgusting feel to their characters and it is nice to see Ray Liotta appearing in more gangster movies.

The film has the backdrop of the 2008 financial crisis and uses it to add layers of motivation to the characters and the whole film would be seen as a retelling of that event but coated in a mob story, even if it does become a bit too much in your face at times.

The cinematography is gorgeous, especially the night time scenes where it really shines. The movie kept switching between different looks for scenes so it felt like some scenes were shot by someone else but it wasn't that big of a deal as it gave the movie it's own sort of unique style.

With no restraints on violence and gore with brilliant performances, Killing Them Softly is another underrated thriller that is not only entertaining but thought-provoking.