The Shining

The Shining ★★★★★

I received a Stanley Kubrick box set for Christmas in 2015. I live in the US but found a great deal on a box set from the UK. The Shining is one of my favorite movies of all time and I just watched the Blu-ray from this box set for the first time. When the movie was finished after barely 2 hours, I thought to myself "I remember this being longer." A quick internet search led me to discover that there is a US and International cut of The Shining, and the International version is 25 minutes shorter! No major plot points are missing but the US version has more scenes that flesh out the layout of the Overlook, Jack's history of alcoholism/abuse, and Danny's relationship with Tony. I really missed the absence of the extra Danny/Tony scenes from this viewing. Although Kubrick didn't have a favorite cut, he did say that Europeans were smarter than Americans and would not need the additional scenes to get the background of the story. I must disagree with Mr. Kubrick here. In my opinion, the US version is the superior film and the lack of backstory detracts from the horror of a family being slowly ripped apart.