Sneakers

Sneakers ★★★½

(Episode 4 of The 'I have always wanted to watch that' Podcast Joey Porter)

Just a couple years before Tom Cruise started going on impossible missions, it was Robert Redford and company pulling heists, cracking codes, and stopping the bad guys.

"There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!"

Sneakers was the movie on my parent's VHS shelf that I remember looking at countless times, but just never popped in the player. Turns out the movie has nothing to do with shoes, but rather being sneaky when it comes to them being a team of ethical crooks. Overall it is a fun time seeing this great cast figure out who is behind them stealing the ultimate decryption device.

"You just overthrow governments. Set up friendly dictators ... No, that's the CIA. We protect our government's communications, we try to break the other fella's codes. We're the good guys, Marty ... Gee, I can't tell you what a relief that is... Dick."

(Quick Hits)

- What a strange choice to have the movie start in a 4x3 flashback before going to widescreen

- Anyone remember the old DOS days before Windows changed personal computer graphic interface forever

- I don't know why but it was strange to see Dan Aykroyd basically playing the Emilio Estévez role from 'Mission Impossible' 1

- Robert Redford and Sidney Poitier get to be the leaders on the team that are (copyrighted quote) - 'getting too old for this shit'

- Hey there is the 1st Lady from 'Independence Day', and Ned Ryerson from 'Groundhog Day'

"This is my last computer date ... Wait. A computer matched *her* with *him*? I don't think so."

- What a strange score from James Horner with upbeat cheerful jazz moments, a section that sounded like the 'Predator' theme, and another part that sounded like Indy discovering the Ark of the Covenant

- So James Earl Jones plays the same character he was for 'Hunt for Red October', and then gets forced to give the team payoff requests at the end like in 'Armageddon'

I guess Redford did not need to be all that sneaky, since he just had to take the tech out of the box twice in order to come out on top.

For my full discussion on Sneakers with Joey Porter click HERE!

Thanks for reading.