Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street ★★★★

(The Average Joe’s Movie Club Cast Episode 17)

Plenty of singing and slit throats ... make for the most macabre musical I have ever seen.

"Alright! You, sir? How about a shave? Come and visit your good friend Sweeney! You sir! Too, sir. Welcome to the grave..."

Director Tim Burton + Johnny Depp + Helena Bonham Carter = gothic movies done right. This was my first exposure to The Demon Barber of Fleet Street story, and this adaption certainly earns its R rating. The movie started out a little slow, but once the horror aspect came into play it was a bloody good time. I especially got a kick out of how the victims would smash down to the basement floor. Anyone who does not like Sacha Baron Cohen should really get a kick out of this movie.

It was an interesting contrast that there was so much more tender-hearted music than sinister tunes in this grim story of revenge. But I suppose that softer side captures how deeply Sweeney cares for those who were taken away from him, and then helps him to lure in unsuspecting victims. The music was more lyrical than catchy, but I could see myself enjoying it more on repeated viewings. Also, the aesthetic was so so grey, but I guess that is Tim burton for ya.

Despite seeing Johnny Depp so frequently in Burton movies, this performance alongside all these Harry Potter alums still felt fresh. Possibly because of how dark the subject matter of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street gets.

Thanks for reading.
Happy movie watching ... Cheers!

Justin liked these reviews