The Father

The Father ★★★★½

Experiencing what it would be like to be trapped in the nightmare of dementia, where at any moment you could lose complete understanding of everything around you.

"I feel as if I'm losing all my leaves."

If this movie does not make you terrified of getting old, I don't know what will. In The Father, Anthony Hopkins delivers a powerhouse performance as a man suffering from symptoms of extreme forgetfulness and confusion, which has become a drain on everyone around him. The film actually enables you to experience his condition by showing the apartment he is in, and the people he is around frequently changing. Plus the fact that he is a paranoid old man that is set in his ways, also causes him to be unpleasant. The movie never got me to the point of tearing up, but it is awfully sad seeing what becomes of him.

'When are you going to stop getting on everyone's tits' -- Wow, do British people really say tits instead of nerves for this expression?

It is neat to see this and 'Sound of Metal' come out in the same year, since they both put you in the head space of someone suffering from a debilitating condition. I would give this one the edge since the confusion we witness with characters changing between different actors makes for such a surreal experience. Olivia Colman is great as the daughter trying to do what's best for her sick dad, along with the delightful Imogen Poots whose character does her best to be his caregiver while he switches between being very charming and then suddenly cruel and rude.

While my elderly grandmother does tend to repeat the same stories each time we see her, I am so thankful she is as sound of mind and healthy as she is. And I should really do my best to spend more time with her.

"I don't need any help from anyone. And I'm not going to leave my flat. All I want is for everyone to fuck off. Having said that... it's been a great pleasure. Au revoir. Toodle-oo"

Thanks for reading.
Happy movie watching ... Cheers!

Justin liked these reviews