Justin Peterson’s review published on Letterboxd:
Logan in Japan ... of course that's a badass combo.
"What kind of monster are you? ... The Wolverine!"
So after the ridiculousness of 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' they finally delivered a more hardcore version of Logan that X-Men fans had apparently been craving. While I have noted many times that I thought there was way too much focus on Wolverine in the previous movies, I did really like the thrill ride this solo wolffy outing delivers with a solid take on the 'Superman 2' plot.
(Quick Hits) ... Spoilers:
- Funny that this is actually a direct sequel to that dreadful 'X-Men: The Last Stand' movie, with Wolverine going into exile after having to kill Dark phoenix
- Nothing more intense than starting the movie with Wolverine being within site of a nuclear bomb being dropped
- Even with his healing ability stunted Wolverine can still take care of business against the Yakuza
- The bullet train sequence is easily the best part with him clawing his way on the roof while taking and faking out the baddies
- So glad I have seen 'The Sword of Doom', so I could notice the similar shot they use as Wolverine is making his way to the baddies mountainside lair
- Viper feels a bit forced in there, but I do appreciate Logan not being the only mutant. Her shedding her face skin was pretty wild
- Why would you rag on a comic book movie for being too comic booky? The serious tone of the overall movie is cool, but getting Silver Samurai as the big bad was a great way to cap it off
- So they knew that drilling into Logan's nub claws would suck out his life force?
- Looking back on it, I would have never imagined the awesomeness that mid-credits scene was building up to
To complete the X-Men franchise I will finally be giving 'Logan' another look after thinking it was overhyped the first go around. Oh wait, I guess I need to watch 'New Mutants' as well ... right? 🤷♂️
Thanks for reading.
Happy movie watching ... Cheers!