Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul ★★★★½

HAPPINESS IS NOT ALWAYS FUN

At the heart of facing racism, xenophobia, ageism, and class warfare, there lies a universally binding theme of searching for equality where none is met.

Ali and Emmi's relationship is thought odd, because how can two people from vastly different backgrounds and ages ever be equals? The presumption being that two people or things so dissimilar cannot possibly be comparable in the first place and therefore one cannot endow them with possessing equal value, one faces a dilemma of choosing which one is "better" and this ends up being the category one is most familiar and therefore also comfortable with as being the clear victor of assigned value. If two things of unequal value are seen in association with one another, well, that doesn't 1) make sense 2) isn't fair and therefore 3) shouldn't associate because 4) it offends and 5) it confuses everything people assume and categorise about the rest of the world.

Prejudicial assumptions will continue as long as we continue to assign inherent values to categorisations.

I'm ashamed to say Ali: Fear Eats the Soul was my first foray into a film by Fassbinder and what can I say that hasn't been said before? It's touching and brutally brilliant in its depiction of ostracising the "other". Amazing.

petricor liked these reviews