Don't Look Up

Don't Look Up

There's a lot I could lambast Don't Look Up for. Its central climate change metaphor doesn't actually work given the threat of climate change is a gradual breakdown of systems and not the instantaneous cataclysm the film depicts. Adam McKay's recent tendency to talk down to his audience like they're a bunch of dumb-dumbs is more condescending and self-satisfied than ever. That McKay's anger, while valid, is ultimately misplaced, targeting the masses for being too concerned with celebrity gossip and pop-culture while failing to adequately address the systemic causes for inaction on climate change. There's also more straight-forward problems, like Mark Rylance's borderline offensive performance or the bursts of terrible editing or the loose structure which make the movie feel like it stretches on for an eternity.

But Don't Look Up's greatest sin is simpler still. Bluntly, the movie is painfully unfunny. I don't know if it's because McKay thinks he's a """prestige""" filmmaker now or he's simply too angry to tell actual jokes, but the result is some of the most aggressively unpleasant hours I've ever spent watching a supposed comedy. This generation's Dr. Strangelove? Not on your life. Strangelove actually makes me laugh.

Daniel PG liked these reviews