Room ★★★★

Jean Renoir once said there are no new stories, just new ways to tell them. Irish screenwriter novelist deserves much of the credit for the success of Lenny Abrahamson's new film Room, the story of a woman (played by Brie Larson) held captive with her androgynous 5-year old son (Jacob Tremblay, in an incredibly naturalistic performance) in an underground shed, the only light coming from a glass skylight. Abrahamson introduces us to the characters in such a way that for the first 15 minutes the characters seem like they are just living in a small studio apartment, but slowly details come out revealing their true situation. Egyptian director Egoyan told a similar story in Captuve, but he relied on flashbacks to get to the heart of the matter.
What makes Room so adventuresome is that the toddler is the center of this tale, and how he's only known this one small room his whole life, and the fantasies he creates for himself to deal with his limited world.
I'm not going to summarize the plot as I see no need to spoil how the film unfolds, which is an important quality this film has that others this year have less of. Well worth watching if you enjoy films that give you something to think about and mull over.

Paul Gordon liked this review