Parasite ★★★★★

No director working today does tonal shifts as intensely and effectively as Bong Joon-ho. Parasite starts uncomfortably funny, morphs into skin-crawling terror, then settles on gut-wrenching emotional turmoil. It had me utterly hooked and consistently surprised. It's been a while since I've seen a film that creates such a tangible physical environment. Most of the story unfolds in an obscenely expensive and beautifully designed house. It is so beautifully tied into the action. Joon-ho and crew always make sure we know exactly where we are. It is also a powerful reflection of the film's themes, especially in harsh comparison to the semi-basement dwelling we open with. The players that move within the house are all brilliant. Song Kang-ho's small moments are as impressive as his violent turns. Cho Yeo-jeong is wonderfully tense, and Lee Sun-kyun is quietly despicable. Park So-dam is the highlight with her raucous, manipulative, drunken performance. I hope to see her in more things. Like Snowpiercer and Memories of Murder, Parasite left me buzzing and pleasantly shell-shocked. I can't wait to see where Joon-ho goes next.