The Babadook ★★★★

Right from the beginning, this movie had a sense of dread and uneasiness to it. That's when I knew this was going to be a great/true horror film. I don't think there are many true horror films today. Most of the so-called scary movies rely on cheap jump scares rather than having a real sense of horror that will stick with you long after the movie is over. I know I've said it before but we need more horror movies like these.

A widow struggles with her troublesome child and his fear of a monster in the house. One day she finds a strange book in his room about a monster named the Babadook that terrorizes people in a house once they let him in. Sure enough, she begins seeing this monster herself.

I realize it may sound similar to "Evil Dead" with the main character reading a book that releases evil on them but it couldn't be farther from that. The movie is really about a relationship between a mother and son that are expertly crafted into a horror story. They really could have gone with any genre for this story but the fact that they chose horror made this feel so fresh and new.

I don't want to give too much away but I will say that I found the ending to be very original and satisfying. Though, it may not work for everyone. But that's just the risk you take with horror movies.

Philip Carroll liked these reviews