Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★★

Visually spectacular, innovative, energetic, adrenaline-pumping, hilarious, heartfelt, charming, moving, deftly written and thoughtful. There isn't a single scene which falters, and the comic book-like visual style is consistently delightful. More importantly, this film has a great understanding of what Spider-Man really stands for and what it means to be a superhero. It is obvious from the get go that the makers have deep love and respect for Spider-Man and Stan Lee - resulting in the most poignant and affecting Stan Lee cameo that also acts as a perfect summation of the film's themes. As someone who has been a big Spidey fan for nearly my entire life, this film spoke a lot to me. And the whole Morales family arc... damn, man, the feels.

This combines the best parts of the films (particularly the Sam Raimi ones) while still keeping a distinct identity, and that results in the best Spider-Man film by far (and this is coming from someone who grew up with the Raimi films and still considers the first two Raimi films to be great), the best comic book film, the best 2018 film, the second best superhero film and straight up one of the greatest films ever made.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a singularly unique, inventive triumph, one that I'll rewatch countless times in the future. I already thought that this was a masterpiece when I first saw it, this rewatch just strengthened it further. I'm sorry if this review comes off as too much overenthusiastic fawning, but I can't help it, guys. I adore this film.

Give me more of this universe, please.

Piku_Banerjee liked these reviews