Pieces of a Woman

Pieces of a Woman ★★

Not gonna lie, I’m disappointed. This was one of the main films I was looking forward to all year and it did not sit the way I wanted it to. Don’t get me wrong the performances were great by the cast, but I feel like they weren’t given much to showcase their full capacity.

Anytime we could have gotten a lot out of of the characters to help the story, the scene was cut and we ended up in a completely different setting. They had so many scenes that just felt undone. It was like being cut off constantly in conversation right when you are about to prove your point. This deserved to be fleshed out more. I was meant to be devastated by the end and that did not happen. The only part of the movie that really captivated me was the first 30 minutes which was impressively shot in one take. Vanessa blew my mind and Shia and Molly Parker were great counterparts.

This didn’t feel like pieces of a woman, felt like pieces of a film that wasn’t seamlessly put together. And speaking of the title, I felt like I got more out Shia’s character than Vanessa’s and this was suppose to mainly be about her. I don’t want to say too much to go into spoiler territory, but certain things were given to us throughout the movie that were not touched on again. They brought up issues or clues to then forget about them as the film went on which made it feel like it did not need to be there in the first place.

Overall good performances, but I expected more from the screenplay.

✨PinkMcflurry (Danya)✨ liked these reviews