Carol ★★★★½

As a film, Carol is astoundingly physically adept, so impactful from such subdued subtlety. We really see the power of the glance that extends into a stare, the shifting of the eyes back and forth from the table to the person on the other side of it, and the hand on the shoulder that lingers for just a second as it's whisked away -- but not for long. These movements are ever so slight, yet they speak volumes, and evoke powerful feelings of love, anxiety, anticipation, eroticism, and at times frustration and confusion. Often times these emotions mix in inscrutable ways, as Haynes crafts this narrative with a brilliant touch of ambiguity. Mara (who is essentially flawless) and Blanchett (who nears Mara's perfection) have a chemistry on what seems like a higher plane, as they converse with another as well as open to and hide things from each other without a word. The cinematography from Edward Lachman is unbelievably spellbinding, transporting its audience directly into Eisenhower's 50s with its brilliantly grainy Super 16mm. Carter Burwell's score adds so much emotional weight to each and every scene as well.

I would also like to add that even though he is certainly overshadowed by the two leads, Kyle Chandler is fantastic in this. I also didn't hate Sarah Paulson, which is great because she seems to strike a nerve with me I don't know what it is. I'm happy I finally saw this, it has been on my list for a very long time and I know its pretty much the foremost love of the Letterboxd community so I had to check it out. I would love to give it another watch sometime soon, I have a feeling it will only get better and my already enormous appreciation for it will only grow.

PJ liked these reviews