Avengers: Infinity War ★★★★

WARNING!
Minor spoilers ahead. If you are spoiler-sensitive and have yet to see this film, avoid this review. I refuse to add a spoiler tag, since everyone and their loved ones must have seen this film by now.

Avengers: Infinity War, or The Infinite War as some people might call it, is the latest entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is celebrating its 10 year anniversary here in 2018. Every entry in the MCU has led up to this huge event, which is the introduction of the Mad Titan Thanos (Josh Brolin). While I did expect some of the things that happened, I still came out of this film rather pleased and entertained.

One of my favorite aspects of this film is how it is willing to truly flesh out the flaws of each hero. We do see their strengths, even though you could argue that they have been overplayed in recent years, but it is their flaws that ultimately showed me why I care so much about these heroes. Without saying too much, I can say that this film showed its audience that these superheroes are willing to do everything to achieve their ideal of justice, but they are also capable of making decision that are costly in the long run. The Marvel heroes are not deities, but human beings who are trying to do their best, which in this case might not be enough. It's great to see that the actions of our heroes actually have consequences, for once, and that the stakes are fairly evident.

The thing I liked the most about this film, though, was actually Thanos. He might actually be the de facto protagonist of this film, as he is the one character goes through the most noteworthy development. I like that Marvel seem to actually want to put effort into creating a sense of grandeur around this character who definitely deserves it. He is larger than anything we've seen so far in the MCU, and while he might look like a giant, purple version of Red Forman from That 70's Show, he is a threatening villain with motivations that are understandable. You might not agree with him, but Josh Brolin makes sure that you are watching a villain who isn't just a mindless killing machine. One of the best emotional scenes revolves around the Mad Titan. Kudos to Marvel for their work here.

In regards to gripes, I do have some that are worth mentioning. First of all, get rid of those goddamn huge ass titles for every place that is visited throughout the film, Marvel! It didn't work in Civil War, and it sure as hell doesn't work here. I mean, the characters already tell us where we are going, we don't need further explication of every location, FFS! The combat scenes could also be a bit inconsistent, to say the least. The use of shaky cam got distracting for me, and did not do the film any favors. The pacing could also feel a bit slow at times, and I will say that this film is probably longer than it should have been. Especially since it doesn't actually tell a completed story as such, even though Thanos' arc has somewhat gone full circle.

In conclusion, Avengers: Infinity War is my favorite among the three Avengers films so far, but it's not one that's going to convert many newcomers or dissidents. It has its flaws, but I got the entertainment I want from the MCU.

Patrick liked these reviews