Boom!

Boom! ★★★★★

This is probably like nails on a chalkboard to many people, but I love movies that go so far off the pretentious deep end that they come back around to being a curious mix of genuine art and unintended hilarity. Look at this all-star team:

Starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton
Written by Tennessee Williams
Directed by Joseph Losey
Cinematography by Douglas Slocombe
Music by John Barry

Movies about mentally unwell people work best for me when I experience a kind of Stockholm Syndrome, a submission to and identification with the crazy headspace in which the main characters find themselves. Trapped on an island in Capri with a flamboyantly dressed Elizabeth Taylor screaming at her servants and recording nonsense dictations over a loudspeaker system is a pretty good way to spend two hours. Marvel as she tosses a portable x-ray machine off a cliff screaming about it being a "baby buggy from Mars!" Split your sides as she fumbles through a phoned in food order in Italian, frustratingly remarking, "These people don't even understand their own language!" when the poor sap on the other end of the line doesn't understand her. Take a shot every time Richard Burton says "boom!" and die smiling.

laird liked these reviews