Come and See

Come and See ★★★★½

It's somewhat hard to put into words what kind of experience Come and See is. It's a film that, although fairy understandable given the understand we have in foresight as to the horrors and atrocities committed by Nazi Germany, is somewhat hard to get across as well as this film does. For the previous three weeks I have viewed around 14-15 films revolving around Soviet involvement during World War II and relating to said era. In most viewings of these other films, although it was clearly understood the atrocious nature of Nazis during the period, there were maybe one or two elements that held some of those films back in the way Come and See really doesn't. Pretty much any derogatory adjective or descriptor one can imagine is placed on the Nazi's portrayal here. When amalgamating a group or image of a certain idea, its usually to create something almost hyperbolic or exaggerated by design, and yet that does not seem to be the case in this case. The utter despair that is displayed throughout the film doesn't feel the slightest bit out of place, over-the-top or just for dramatic effect. It's perhaps the gravest reminder of just how low humans can stoop. Of course, this isn't to dismiss the surrealism that is displayed throughout the film, as much of it is utilized to further enhance the almost unimaginable scenarios and trials our main protagonist must endeavor. I don't know how best to describe it, if even thats the best way to put it. Even prior to my viewing I knew that it was described as 'harrowing' and 'despairing' and yet even with those feelings being had after my viewing, it is very hard to put accurately the feelings im having typing this out. To only say 'It's reality' feels like its undermining the surrealist nature of the film, to only focus on the despair feels like its forgetting the foresight into knowing that eventually these people will see some semblance of justice in their future, knowing that we now live in a world that recognizes the atrocities of the Nazi Empire and the personality of Adolf Hitler; that the son of a bitch saw his empire fall and couldn't face his justice head on. However the pensive stare I keep shifting to as I try to get my words out can best be summed up as a fear. A fear that what if this can happen again. That the long time phrase of 'Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it' may occur at some other point. The Adolf Hitler portrait scene really got to me, like shit. I really don't know how else to describe it. (EDIT: It certainly doesn't help when you watch this during perhaps the most abuse of authority period America has shifted to in recent years with the police state/racial discrimination/misuse of power information overflow that has been this past week, not that our current events comes nearly as close to those depicted here of course) Definitely been a while since I've watched a movie and even without knowing how best to put it, I just felt compelled to describe my feelings the best I could.

PolaroidJack liked this review