Margaret ★★★★★

Held me spellbound for three hours, if nothing else (extended cut, fwiw). 25th HOUR-ish - New York movie, moral drama about Doing the Right Thing, symphonic score over jagged rhythms - also Desplechin-ish for the sweep and scale, but more ambitious than either: an epic of human disconnection, based around the fact that language is such an imperfect way of trying to connect - emotion is easier, but we lose it as we grow older ("It is Margaret you mourn for"), and of course Art is the best way of all, hence the ending - and around the fact that people are quite simply separate, everyone has a point of view (even the kid who thinks Shakespeare was talking about a "higher consciousness" - and why not, he may be right) and our life-and-death struggles take place in a bubble side-by-side with all the other bubbles. Not as mysterious as, say, The Tree of Life - it's very rich, but everything is laid out quite clearly - but equally miraculous; it's wonderful that someone thought about this stuff in this day and age (and marketplace), and had the vision and strength of will to make a film about it. Truly inspirational.