Sicario ★★★½

Riveting to watch (if a bit bombastic), but I'm having real trouble finding layers of self-awareness here. The message that, in these parlous times, we need more loose-cannon ruthlessness and less respect for due process seems even more emphatic than the endorsement of vigilantism in Prisoners, and the bait-and-switch is non-existent since Blunt's character - despite being our identification figure - seems irrelevant and out of her depth from the start (basically, she falls in with some much cooler people, and they turn out to be correct as well as cool). Also, god knows it's refreshing, in a pop-culture landscape where women are forever decking men with a single punch in the name of Empowerment, to see a woman struggling plausibly to impose herself, but the film seems to be making half of a feminist statement (our heroine is the token woman in this macho setting, just like the local cops are a token presence to fulfil legal requirements) without following through - not to mention that Villeneuve's previous work, esp. Enemy (and even the choice of Polytechnique as subject matter, though I haven't seen the film itself), doesn't suggest a natural feminist. "You're asking me how a watch works. Let's just keep an eye on the time." Actually no, let's discuss how the watch works.