Get Out

Get Out ★★★★½

I had read that this had reminded a lot of reviewers of Rosemary's Baby (it was also name checked by Jordan Peele in an interview with Criterion) but the feelings I got from this movie were more like the original Stepford Wives and oddly another Bradley Whitford movie I recently watched, Cabin in the Woods. Stepford Wives was written by the same author, Ira Levin, as Rosemary's Baby but to me it doesn't have the same sense of uncomfortable dread as Rosemarie's Baby. I felt similarly watching Get Out as Stepford, and for a non-horror fan, this made me more comfortable to enjoy the movie.

Cabin in the Woods subverts the genre of horror and brings a "reasonable" explanation to the genre Get Out does the same for liberal racists.

One issue this movie brings up that is presented in the most persuasive manner I think I have ever seen is the dismissing of law enforcement (and the public) for minority victims of crime. The podcast My Favorite Murder has brought up the advantages killers or kidnappers have if they victimize people of color because there isn't an outcry in law enforcement or in the public to pursue a serial killer if they are killing black girls rather than blond girls.

The only thing that kept this movie from bumping up to a five-star movie was that I think I expected the very end of the movie to play out differently and I thought there could have been an extra twist on the friend coming to save the day kind of like Scatman Crothers in The Shining... although in a way not having a twist like that subverts racist troupes in horror. I'm really just knocking it down half a star because horror is generally a more difficult genre for me to enjoy.

www.pstalbot.com/single-post/2017/03/18/Get-Out-of-Logan-Skull-Island