Nobody Speak: Trials of the Free Press

Nobody Speak: Trials of the Free Press ★★★½

This is a very important story to tell, but you have get through the Hulk Hogan trial to get to the especially important stuff in this movie. That trial and everything around it is interesting, and I would have liked it more if I hadn't known nearly everything about it. It gets really interesting when it gets into the aftermath of the case and the funding of it. It starts as a story about tabloid reporting but really gets interesting when it finally addresses journalists in the middle of political stories.

This is the second documentary I have seen lately that has had clips of election night of last year and it's completely unnecessary to the story. That's not a moment in US history I feel I need to see again as it feels like ripping open a still open wound and distracts from the message of the film. There aren't all that many great films about journalism compared to the number of movies about white guys struggling to get their movies made (cough) so this doc is quite welcome.

A couple months ago I put together a list of journalism movies that is not definitive, but worth putting in here:

All the Presidents Men