Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Star Wars: The Last Jedi ★★★★½

Yes, it could have used one more location to feel the full expansiveness of a space epic, however this still manages to both be a great sci-fi movie and a great Star Wars movie.

I somehow managed to avoid almost all spoilers and the one I did see had a twist upon that. This movie has inspirations from WWI, WWII and Cold War movies. It plays on George Lucas's touches from the first movies and his own inspiration, Kurosawa. It even has references to Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and Stalker. It even clears up some of the questions of previous Star Wars installments while creating more mystery.

For a lot more

UPDATE WITH POSSIBLE SPOILER:
And somehow there was one more thought that I still haven't fully flushed out about Looper's thematic connection to The Last Jedi. The little boy of Looper is one traumatic betrayal away from being a supreme figure of badness in the world but he is able to be changed for the good by acts of compassion and Kylo Ren who has an act of betrayal that catapults him into the dark side and attempts to come to terms with compassion, betrayal and the darkness within.

Movie of the Month