The Dead Don't Die ★★★★½

I can understand why this isn't getting the best reviews. It's so on the nose, so self aware, so aware of the cinematic world beyond this movie that it could be taken as lazy. It's no mystery that zombie movies, especially in the vein of George A. Romero's movies, often have a lot to say about consumerism and often come as a backlash to conservative politics. This movie is not subtle about these things. But in a way, it is saying something I hope is not true, that this is the final death in Jim Jarmusch's filmography.

I had a lot of fun watching this as a zombie movie and as a Jarmusch movie, but it's also pretty fun as a sci-fi alegory horror, much like Jordan Peele's movies and Sorry To Bother You. One thing that I was starting to notice was that there was at least one actor, and even a couple of composers, of almost all of Jim Jarmusch's whole filmography.

Down By Law: Tom Waits
Broken Flowers: Bill Murray and Chloe Sevigny
Limits of Control: Tilda Swinton and Murray
Only Lovers Left Alive: Tilda Swinton
Paterson: Adam Driver

The only movie without any representation is Stranger Than Paradise and the guy that would have been great to see, John Lurie, was going through some serious health issues at the time.

This movie is about the end of the world. There really isn't any way out of it. It's pretty certain that this is the result of ruining the environment, but hopefully it doesn't mean that Jim Jarmusch isn't freaking out and throwing himself into the hoard of zombies, but is running to somewhere safe, hiding away to take another stand for his great filmography. And I hope he doesn't shy away from the blatant winks at the camera and I hope he brings back his newcomers from this in the future.

Pete liked these reviews