The Holy Mountain

The Holy Mountain ★★★★

It has the cadence of a dramatic art film with the content of an absurdist comedy. I didn’t expect to enjoy this, and I was even a bit put off in the first scene, hell, the first act, but as the film continued and grew more absurdist, and added more vignettes that were more like sketches, the more I settled into the slow pacing, the score, and the beautiful cinematography that it offset the gory images and nudity that seems to be for shock value. I was surprised to see that this came out two years before Monty Python and the Holy Grail and one year before Blazing Saddles. This shares some of the loose storytelling of those movies and the breaking of the fourth wall to end the movie. I don’t know of this was one of the first movies to break the fourth wall, but it had to be one of the last to do so unironically. I wasn’t really planning to see this ever after being scared away from it in Jodorowski’s Dune, but I’m glad I was inspired to see it as an upcoming Enter The Void Podcast movie.

Pete liked these reviews