Monster House ★★★★

This is the perfect film to show any kids you're hoping develops a taste for horror films. It isn't too scary, has a ton of humor for the whole family, and tells a great story. I'm excited to get to show it to my young nephew soon, and I'm hoping it will be the first of many horror films I get to share with him.

As gorgeous as the animation is in Monster House, the 3D effects left a lot to be desired. Seeing as this was released back in 2006, though, I'm honestly not surprised. We've come a long way in a short amount of time when it comes to 3D filmmaking and viewing. The movie never looks too dark, though, which is a major plus. There is not a lot that comes out of the screen towards the viewer, but the 3D does add a bit of depth to the picture, which looks pretty cool.

The voice cast is stellar, with the likes of Kevin James, Steve Buscemi, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jason Lee, and Jon Heder playing smaller parts. The leads, Mitchell Musso and Sam Lerner both also do great jobs with their young characters. They're funny, and likable.

Monster House is not going to end up in my top 5 animated films list, but it's a great time waster, and a wonderful way to introduce young audiences to a very adult genre.