My Bloody Valentine ★★

This was one of the first movies my current girlfriend and I ever went to go see back in theatres in 2009. We enjoyed it then for the 3D effects, but little else. Re-watching this movie together today, with our new 3D TV on the wall, not much has changed at all.

The biggest disappointment of My Bloody Valentine 3D is just how poorly the killer's identity is hidden. Virtually anyone could watch this and know who the guy behind the mask is going to be. The filmmakers don't try very hard to hide it because of one stupid red herring scene that makes absolutely no sense at all. This relies on one of those horror cliches that has you saying, "really, that's it?" at the end, and that isn't a good thing.

The 3D effects, on the other hand, are just as cool today as they were in 2009, with quite a few objects coming out of the screen right to the viewer, and because of that, I enjoy the film. Frankly, there's enough violence and sex to keep me interested. Outside of that, though, there's nothing special about this remake, which is doubly sad because the original from 1981 is one of my favorite slasher films of the 80s.

If you have a 3D TV and are looking for some fun out of screen 3D effects, give this a rental. It's not worth the $20 that its going for most places.