WandaVision

WandaVision ★★★★★

"This is chaos magic, Wanda. And that makes you the Scarlet Witch."

Wow! Marvel Studios' first live action series has absolutely blown away all of my expectations. With the recent events of our world affecting the expansion of this fictional universe, I was worried about this series switching places with The Falcon & The Winter Soldier as our first venture into Disney Plus' side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Though, it didn't take long for my doubts to be washed away. Marvel Studios set out to create a high budget mysterious cinematic experience straight to our living rooms through Disney's streaming service. This is absolutely nothing like the disastrous CW DCTV series and is leaps above ABC's Marvel shows. WandaVision proved that like Lucasfilm's The Mandalorian, Disney isn't going to sacrifice quality in any aspect just because it's produced for television. This is cinema quality capeshit kino and there is so much to talk about.

WandaVision delves into Wanda Maximoff's past. It expands on her introduction in Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) and clears up any misconceptions of her powers and origin. The Infinity Stone amplified what she already had inside of her. We see the heartbreaking story we learned come to fruition. WandaVision gets real dark real fast. Witches have come to the forefront of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I can't wait to see what it means for the next arc. From WandaVision to Spider-Man: No Way Home and finally Doctor Strange: Into the Multiverse of Madness, this journey is going to be mind-blowing and reality-bending beyond our comprehension. I'm so absolutely stoked to see what this means.

Numerous parts of this series include callbacks to other lines throughout the MCU. In Captain America: Civil War (2016), we hear vision say “Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict breeds catastrophe.” This is extremely true considering Wanda Maximoff’s powers. She’s remarkably strong with ease and because of that it’s drawn unwanted attention. Agnes, Agatha Harkness portrayed by the talented Kathryn Hahn, seeks to obtain Wanda’s chaos magic. Hahn’s performance is absolutely astonishing. She effortlessly switches between scenes and emotions at a drop of a hat. From unbridled fear to amusement and finally devious malice.

WandaVision slams us with incredible messages about grief and how we cannot change the past or bring back the dead. Director Matt Shakman & showrunner Jac Schaeffer absolutely nail the character that is Scarlet Witch. Her character arc in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is one of the greatest and it certainly is not over. Elizabeth Olsen has always shown her talent but this series tops anything she’d done before it. Olsen owns this character, she was born for it. Her grief, her pain, her heartbreak feels all too real. I’m so happy with the way this series turned out. It’s beautiful. Wanda has unlocked her abilities and has promised to learn more about them. Enter, the Darkhold.

Speaking of beauty, so many lines spoken by Paul Bettany’s character The Vision, have been unequivocally touching. From Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) to WandaVision, he brought this character to life in a stupendous way. His interactions and chemistry with Elizabeth Olsen’s character Scarlet Witch will be praised as one of the greatest parts of the MCU for a very long time. This series gives off an Incredibles (2004) vibe. The loving couple with their superpowered children, a concept the MCU hadn’t tackled just yet, but absolutely delivers on in the first attempt. If you were worried about Marvel Studios’ Fantastic Four, directed by Jon Watts, don’t be. I’m so ready.

Teyonah Parris debuts in WandaVision. Her role is that of Monica Rambeau. She is the grown version of the young Monica we see in Captain Marvel (2019) which was set in the 1990’s. This series gives us context of where she and her mother, Maria Rambeau have been since the events of the film. Maria Rambeau was busy forming S.W.O.R.D. and Monica was clearly apart of it as she grew older. WandaVision is Monica Rambeau’s superhero origin. Wanda’s hex affects Monica’s genes and transforms her into the superhero Spectrum. Spectrum is a powerful hero from the comics who can control gamma rays, ultraviolet radiation, electricity, infrared radiation, x-rays, microwaves, and radio waves. Whenever she is in any one particular energy-form, she can exhibit all of that energy’s properties. Whenever Monica comes across a new form of energy, she can also duplicate its properties. She is an incredible character and I’m very excited to see where she goes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. She deserves her own movie or series!

Kat Dennings returns to the MCU after eight years! Previously having been a part of Thor: The Dark World (2013). She has clearly worked her way up since then and become a professional in her field. I love Darcy, who is now known as Dr. Darcy Lewis! It was so nice to see a familiar face return from so long ago, this time dealing with a magnificent mysterious event caused by our lead character, Wanda Maximoff. Randall Park also returns as Jimmy Woo, who normally has a role in the Ant-Man films. His last appearance was Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018) and I really hope we see his return again in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. I also have a suspicion that he will get a lead role in an Agents of Atlas adaptation in the MCU. Whether it’ll be a series or a film, it’s anyone’s guess. Either way I’m super excited to see more of Agent Jimmy Woo.

Julian Hilliard and Jett Klyne deserve every ounce of praise for their performances. My heart was warmed and then shattered into a million pieces. They were wonderful in their roles. I was surprised Marvel Studios didn’t age up Billy & Tommy Maximoff to reflect the age of their comic counterparts, however I’m so excited to see these two again. They are the birth of the Young Avengers. Their existence sets into motion the eventual fifth Avengers film sooner than we think. It’s all coming together and I’m hooked on for every part of the ride.

WandaVision is a masterpiece. Yet another installment in this fantastic cinematic universe. A fictional world that I love to get lost in. If you haven’t seen it yet, absolutely take the time to experience it. It’s unlike anything I’ve seen before and make sure to stay after the credits in Episodes 7-9. As with all Marvel Studios projects, they love to drop a stinger setting up the future. A future that’ll drag us into the madness of the multiverse.

Block or Report