Hotel Monterey

Hotel Monterey ★★★½

Around the 10 minute mark of Hotel Monterey, it occurred to me that I was not going to be able to watch this in silence as intended, due to my house being filled with voices, the distant echo of televisions and just general noisiness. Rather than be incessantly pestered by these aural distractions, I hastily decided to queue up something I thought would accompany the film well; Brian Eno’s seminal classic LP from 1978 “Ambient 1/Music for Airports”. Thankfully, this leap of faith worked wondrously, as the music of Eno paired perfectly with Akerman’s visuals. Spacial austerity through stases of composed image. Carefully structured, meticulously and delicately composed impressions of a gloomy hotel in New York City. There are moments of movement though; and when they occur, this film becomes a living, breathing thing. It starts to exist outside the realm of the still frame. Transcending tableau, calmingly placid, but sentient via the fluid movement of the camera through the dim, arterial corridors of the hotel.

Definitely Recommended. You should probably see it silent as Akerman assuredly calculated it ought to be seen, but watching it paired with the ethereal ambient sounds of Eno was an experience unlike any other and one that I won’t soon forget.

Jerry McGlothlin 🎃 liked these reviews