Mother/Android

Mother/Android ★★½

Could have been so much better. The main characters felt lifeless and flat. They don’t especially like each other from the beginning, so why should we? They don’t do anything to earn our interest before shit goes haywire and they’re barely tolerable for the duration of the film.

I both understood the world and didn’t get enough of it, mostly because it leans so heavily on post apocalyptic clichés.

The opening scene almost ruins the rest of the film. It does the whole Rick and Morty thing of flashing back to the beginning of the story.

I actually kind of liked the climax, but getting there was a slog. And the denouement just dragged and felt forced. It’s like the movie ended at least 3 times. And it’s drenched in sap and sentiment. I was just over it. And how many times can a girl pass out and wake up somewhere else? And why is she burning his photos? And if she’s going to a safe new base, it basically means she gave up her kid for nothing.

You cut 20 minutes out of this movie, give the characters some life, and make the world more unique and detailed, let her keep the baby, this would be a much better movie.