The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger ★★★

A film almost everyone can agree is pretty much Pirates of the Caribbean in the Wild West, not that that's a bad thing.

A notable complaint in this pretty dark movie by Disney standards (cannibalism is borderline shown) is the occasional jarring tone shift; an example is in a scene where Jack Spar-I mean Tonto is mourning the loss of his former tribe, who have just been slaughtered by the U.S. Calvary, the scene abruptly shifts to John Reid's horse impossibly balancing on a thin tree limb which is somehow funny. Or after John Reid, his brother, and their posy have been ambushed all members of the posy are killed, John's brother's heart is cut out and eaten by Cavendish, and John is left for dead. Later Jack Spar-I mean Tonto is burying the men finds John is alive and at the behest of the spirit horse takes him away and while doing so accidentally drags John's hair through horse manure. Thankfully most of the humor in the movie isn't groan inducing these scenes.

However their are two neat aspects in this film I like:

1) The teasing of supernatural elements. Butch Cavendish is a cannibal but is he a Wendingo? Did John Reid come back to life or was he simply recovering from a serious attack? Why did John get a psychic vision from touching a piece of Cavendish's silver? Is John a spirit walker or just incredibly lucky? What the @#$% is up with that horse?

2) The film from the outset openly mocks the idea of city slicker wimp masked man righting wrongs and how Tonto is a complete nut job, but by the end of the film John and Tonto have become the crime fighting duo of legend and effectively stop the Cole and Cavendish.

All in all the movie is far from perfect, but funny enough and action packed enough that I've watched it multiple times.

QDB liked these reviews