Moonlight ★★★★★

"The hardest part of my day is wishing I was fucking straight." -Kevin Abstract, Papercut

When I was younger, in elementary school I was teased for being gay. I didn't even know back then. Even though I "didn't know" it still would manage to upset me on such a deep level whenever someone made fun of me fore being gay or would call me a fag. But the more I remember things I realize that I did know, it was just on a subconscious level. I can remember so many things that I would do or think and realize that I literally have known my entire life, all the way back to my earliest memories.

This is one of the most beautifully raw movies I've ever seen. Every moment seems so real and quiet but incredibly important to the story. I think my favorite thing is how in act two Kevin and Chiron talk about the breeze by the beach and it's such an important scene and it carries into the third part when he's standing with the freezer open and he's trying to catch the breeze or something like it and when they get out of the car at Kevin's apartment and he looks at the beach and the sound of the wind intensifies because it's that same feeling.

I think one of the hardest parts of watching this for me is the relationship with the mother especially when he comes home and she says "You don't love me no more." My mom had such a hard time dealing with my sexuality when I first came out to her and even though she's fine with it now I still have resentment against her for the things she would say to me and I don't think I can ever forgive her for those times.

Another big moment for me (and I think for everyone who watches this) is the line "You the only man that's ever touched me." Just the look on his face and the tone in his voice and the shot of him and Kevin that comes after really just cut deep for me, especially when I think about what Trevante Rhodes said about Chiron and Kevin's relationship.

This movie is so important to me and it really is so spectacular and these reasons above are just some of the many reasons why it's tied for my favorite movie.

Brandon liked these reviews